Jul 10, 2013

{Review} Apollyon by Jennifer Armentrout

Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 343
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Format: Paperback
Source: Amazon
Age Group: Young Adult
Apollyon (Covenant, #4)Date Published: April 4, 2013

Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.
The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.
Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.


HOLY DAIMION BABIES THIS ONE WAS GREAT. I know I said Deity was the best one yet, but Apollyon totally topped it. Psycho Alex is like Soulless Sam, you have to hate her but she's a total badass so you love her.
image
I tried to find a good Soulless Sam gif and this is the best I could come up with.
Anyways, there's a lot of Alex/Aiden romance and that made me SUPER HAPPY because, duh, I've always loved Aiden. And the love between them is so... real. It's not superficial, they really know each other. For instance:

"Skittles?"
"Please." 
I dumped them in his open palm, then picked out the green ones. 
Aiden grinned at me. "You know I don't like the green ones?"
Shrugging, I popped them in my mouth. "The few times I've seen you eat them, you leave the green ones behind." - p. 258

It's just little things like that that infiltrate the whole book and let the reader know exactly how well these two have gotten to know each other throughout the series. They're just too darned cute. Their relationship is also totally hot, too. It's just... perfect.

And the secondary characters were fantastic. We get to know Marcus a whole lot better (a like him a whole lot more). And we also see more of Laadan, whom I've always liked a lot because she's awesome and Alex needs a strong woman in her life because her mommy's dead and Laadan is awesome and knew her mommy. We also get to know Lea a lot better, and like her a lot more too.

Deacon gets his own paragraph because I love him. He's like this adorable puppy that you want to always be happy because he's just so cute. He and Luke are so funny together, and the majority of the Supernatural mentions comes from the two of them (did I ever mention JLA is the reason I even started watching Supernatural?) so they obviously earned a special place in my heart. There's this one scene where Deacon runs into Aiden's room and jumps in bed with him and Alex like he's four and they're his parents and it made me giggle. He stands up to overprotective Aiden because he wants to fight with everyone else even though he doesn't really know how and I love that. And I love his and Aiden's relationship, because they care so much about each other as it's been just the two of them forever and it's really sweet. Basically I adore Deacon and want to hang out with him and all the other characters because they're really cute and funny together.

And the plot was really intense. I was constantly worried about everyone's safety and found my heart pounding at several of their battles. And everyone was trying to guess what god was behind stuff and it was really predictable who it was (to me anyways, and I am kind of a Greek mythology enthusiast), but then JLA still threw in a plot twist that left me shocked and awed. As I said in my Deity review, I was really excited that JLA brought in more mythology to the books. She poured more into this one- a LOT about the Underworld and that was really interesting. And she took her own spin on things, too, which I really liked. And I still totally love Apollo and his impeccable timing. Like in the rest of the books, he likes to pop up when Aiden and Alex are about to go at it, and it just made me giggle.

Basically, this is my fave book in the series yet! I loved the action, the romance, the romantic action (wink, wink), and the characters (especially Deacon). Everything was perfect. I totally give it 5 'staches :)


Also, today's my birthday :D I'm finally 17. yaaaaaay

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Megan! I hope you 17th birthday is amazeballs! haha

    I haven't read this series yet, so I skimmed your review. I don't want spoilers. :3 But JLA's books are high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing, plot everything. I couldn't put it down and read all books so far within a week. I love all Jennifer's books.
    Best Hoodoo River Fly Fishing Alaska

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...